Luxor Temple: Head of Ramses the Great (click and drag in image, left or right) Ramses II (the Great) was one of the most prolific builders of ancient Egypt. Hardly a site exists that he did not.
Luxor - Luxor Temple. Pylon, Obelisk and Statues of Luxor Temple. Like Karnak Temple, Luxor Temple is an accretion of structures erected by succeeding kings. The principal entrance today is the Pylon of Ramesses II (c.1279-1213 B.C.E.), which is flanked by two seated statues of the king (one is behind the obelisk) and one standing statue (of an original four). The remaining obelisk of pink.
The Temple of Luxor's massive first pylon (58 yards wide) is the work of that tireless builder Ramses II—ample evidence of whom you can see in the scenes of the Battle of Qadesh (a campaign that.
Ramses II built the pylon (the large wall in the background), two obelisks (only one remains today), and six statues of himself. The sphinxes along the “Avenue of Sphinxes” were built by Nectanebo I, and replaced the ram-headed sphinxes built by Amenhotep III. The avenue stretched from the Luxor Temple to the Karnak Temple for a distance of 2 miles (3 km). Obelisks. The Luxor Temple is.
On the west bank of the Nile, Ramesseum (Mortuary Temple of Ramses II) once featured a colossal statue of the famed pharaoh, only fragments of which survive to this day. The seated 17 m (57 ft) tall statue, which once stood in front of the entrance, dates back to the 13th century BCE, as does the.
Yet another temple dedicated to the Gods Amun, Mut and Khonsu, the Luxor Temple was especially built to celebrate the Opet Festival, which is where all three Gods come together in a reunion. Two pharaohs of the land are said to have contributed the most to the temple’s architecture are Amenhotep III and Ramses II; the collection of the latter’s statues stands testimony to his contribution.
Download Ramesses ii stock photos. Affordable and search from millions of royalty free images, photos and vectors.
Luxor Temple Court of Rameses II The great Court of Rameses II is 188 feet (57 m) long and 168 feet (51 m) wide. Seventy four papyrus columns, with bud capitals surround it and in the Northwest corner of the court there is a shrine to Thutmose III, while in the southern part of the court there are a number of standing colossi of Ramses II.